Toby’s Doggy Tips #4
“Teeth Brushing 101”
Step 1 – Get Comfortable
– Set expectations that getting used to brushing might take several sessions, so reward your pup through the training process and remember to keep it positive and be patient.
– Practice lifting their lip to see their and reward with praise.
Step 2 – Try toothpaste
– You can wrap your index finger in gauze or use a finger toothbrush
– After your dog is comfortable, lift his lip and gently rub the pet toothpaste over his teeth and gums.
Step 3 – Toothbrush time
– Introduce the toothbrush provided by your Veterinarian.
– If desired, place a small amount of toothpaste on the brush and gently start brushing.
Step 4 – Brushing success!
– Brush teeth and gums gently and finish with the bottom front teeth.
– Focus on the outside of the teeth – the surface facing the cheek is most prone to plaque and tartar buildup.
– When finished, offer him praise and plenty of love! Let your dog know what a great pet he is and make brushing a positive experience!